Saturday, December 24, 2011

Audio books?

My husband will be driving from Florida to NY in a few weeks. Since it is his birthday, I want to give him some audio books that he can listen to on his trip. He's 55 yr. old. What do you recommend? What have you listened to that you liked?|||I will tell you what I didn't like. The Da Vinci Code. Whoever read that was horrible. Look for some with good actors narrating. The voice makes a huge difference. Pax -C|||If he's a history buff, the Anne Perry novels on the second world war are really good. Also Jimmy Carter's "The Hornet's Nest" about the American Revolution. He's the only president who has written a fiction novel. Tim Russert's book "Big Russ and Me" about his father was interesting. I think TR is 57. Might share some of the same memories. Adventure stories by Tom Clancy and Jack London are always good. Light science fiction mystery by J B Robb are enjoyable. I like the westerns by Louis L'Amour, especially the Sacketts.





I probably gave you more than you want - good reading.|||If he's like me, he'll like any of the classic adventure stories. Some of my favorites:





*Jules Verne*


Journey to the Center of the Earth


20,000 Leagues Under the Sea


Mysterious Island


Around the World in 80 Days





*Rudyard Kipling*


The Jungle Books





*Arthur Conan Doyle*


Sherlock Holmes





*T H White*


The Sword in the Stone





Not quite excellent:


*Edgar Rice Burroughs*


The Tarzan series


The Pellucidar series





Most of these are old enough to be free, and you may find these (for free) on LibriVox (www.librixox.com).





Another good bet (if he likes younger people's stories): Doctor Doolittle. The story is similar to, but also quite different from, the (excellent musical) movie.





If he likes fantasy, you can check out my favorites here (with links to audio books):


http://www.life-after-harry-potter.com





I hope this helps.





Jim|||Books are like many other things in life, personal taste, given that you are I'm sure the person who probably knows his likes and dislikes best, may I suggest you browse the recommended section on the link provided below.(Simply audiobooks)





I hope you find a title that makes him happy and your trip safe and enjoyable :)





My best





Pete





www.audioforbooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment