Saturday, December 24, 2011

What fantasy / fiction audio books would people recommend?

All day at work I'm allowed to listen to music. I thought I'd give it a shot one day with the first Harry Potter book. Time melted away like butter. Since then I've listened to the whole series and just finished book 1 and book 2 of the Eragon/ Inheritance series by Christopher Paolini. I loved both. Does anybody know of any comparable stories or just any good fiction and/or fantasy AUDIO BOOKS they'd recommend I listen to? Thanks for all the suggestions|||I would suggest taking a look through your local library for audio books. They are free to check out and I have found several good audio books there such as The Last Apprentice: Revenge of The Witch.





LibriVox provides free audiobooks from the public domain. You might find something you like there.


http://librivox.org/





Since you go through a lot of audio books it sounds like you would benefit from an audio book club in which you can buy, rent, and/or download audio books. (And save you $$)





Audible


http://www.audible.com





Simply Audio Books


http://www.simplyaudiobooks.com/audio-bo鈥?/a>





Other audio books you may like:


His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman (3 books)





The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott





Oh, and don't forget to take a look around for free podcasts. They are a great way to past the time. You can find a lot of great ones at itunes


http://www.itunes.com





And since you are a Harry Potter fan you should definately be checking these out these:





MuggleCast


http://www.mugglecast.com/





PotterCast (from The Leaky Cauldron)


http://www.pottercast.com|||Well, I know lodes, but it depends if you like to read manga... If you do, here are some suggestions:





Death Note (Very Addictive, be warned if you can only afford one volume each month)


Rozen Maiden (Dolls coming to live... Cool or what?)


Fruits Basket (A good laugh, and even makes you feel warm inside)


Tsubasa Chronicles (VERY CREATIVE, AND FANTSENESS, not even sure if that is a word)


Naruto (NINJAS)


Inuyasha (Demon's, Fighting, and might I add a Priest that can鈥檛 help himself XD)


Love Hina (Good for Laugh's)


Initial D (Car racing, in case if you enjoy car racing books or something like that)


Elemental Gelade (Sky Pirates and also Ren, a living weapon)


Trinity Blood (Vampires :])


Full Metal Alchemist (So cool, I can鈥檛 describe)


Midori Days (OK, this is one psychic up um Manga, but simply the best XD)





And I think I should stop, and sorry, but I don鈥檛 know that much non manga's... sorry.|||Look here:





http://www.life-after-harry-potter.com





Included is a list of only the best sorcery fantasy books, grade reading level, a short review of each book along with a brief summary of adult content. There is also a "Reader's Choice" list of favorite books, and a list of heroine sorcery fantasy books. Nearly all of these are available as audio books.





I hope this helps.





Jim, http://www.jimpettis.com/wheel/|||Ask if "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez is on audio... there will be a lot of disks, but I know there were fourteen for HP7 alone, so maybe they have it and maybe you'll want to get it. A classic of South American writing, I think it would be most interesting to listen to! It's fiction that seems sometimes like fantasy...


"Grendel" by John Gardner... great fantasy around the Beowulf saga from the opposite view-- hope it's on audio.


"The Once and Future King" by T.H. White; the definitive book on the Camelot legend, very well done; another long book worth the time.


"The Traveler" by John Twelve Hawks... I have slim hopes it's on audio, but it's a good start to what promises to be a fine series set a bit into the future (we hope).


Anne McCaffery wrote a kazillion books in a Dragon series; I can't call up a name right now but will come back if I do... she may well be on audio. The titles all include the word "dragon" for starters.


"The Wizard of Earthsea" by Ursula K. LeGuin; it should be on audio, and it's the beginning of a good series... in my opinion this book is the best of the lot.


I'm sure I'll think of more when it's too late! Anyway, happy listening to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment