Saturday, December 24, 2011

Can I start listening to the Fate of a Jedi audio books with only the movies as current info?

I know there is a bunch of Star Wars Books out there and I was wondering if I could just start in and listen to the Fate of a Jedi books. I'm a mower and like to listen to audio books while mowing. Most of the books are in abridged form (a condensed version of the the book). The Fate series, the Movie books, and a few are in unabridged form (the book read strait from the pages) which I prefer|||Well considering that the Fate of the Jedi series is set about 45 years after the events of ep VI ... I think you would be beyond lost in respect to the story line. Off hand I'd say that the only characters that you'll know about are Han, Luke, Leia, Lando, Wedge ... and that's about it. Any other characters you know from the movies have died in the 70 + books that are in the story line before the Fate Of The Jedi series. Personally I've read just about every one of the books that has come out over the years so I fancy myself a Star Wars EU (Expanded Universe of books) Guru and reading the Fate of the Jedi series has sent me back to my book shelve to the older books to "refresh" my memory and even that doesn't work sometimes with this new series.





On the other hand, since you don't have the knowledge from those books it might not matter and you'll understand the Fate Of The Jedi series better ... I have to say that I highly doubt it but who knows.





As for the audio books ... I absolutely HATE the "abridged" versions ... they are a slap in the face to the author and tend to leave out a ton of info that would make the story easier to understand. As you say, the unabridged versions are hard to find and usually don't exist.





I would suggest you look for the books of the Thrawn Trilogy to listen to. The titles are "Heir To The Empire", "Dark Force Rising", and "The Last Command". These books were written by Hugo Award winning author Timothy Zahn and are brilliantly written. They are set 5 years after the events of ep VI and are where the books really started.





I've found a few audio books on the p2p sites but they are "at your own risk" things with all the trash that can be found on the p2p sites.





May The Force Be With You ...





.|||I believe you they are self contained. I only listen to one Star Wars book that my library had. I know some of the authors from podcast like Adventures in SciFi Publishing and they are good authors.





Have you checked out Indiana Jim's fan fic Codename Starkeeper it is very good fanfic|||You can see if the public library has the audio books. They are not available for free online. Lucas guards his copyright.

No comments:

Post a Comment